Sunday, December 7, 2008

Another Favorite

At the end of the semester, all the classes in the College of Environmental Design that are art/graphics oriented have exhibitions. It's fun and inspiring to see everyone's work. Thankfully for the students, these exhibitions replace a final exam--generally, the professor assigns your grade upon seeing your entire body of work over the semester.

On Friday, we had our "exhibit" for the computer-based landscape graphics course, which all the first-year MLA students take. In addition to the photo collages I posted previously, I thought I'd post another of my other favorite assignments.

This assignment was to create a photo collage recalling the landscape paintings of the 17th century by artists such as Claude Lorraine. See his "Landscape with Apollo and Mercury," as an example:


These paintings emphasized bucolic and picturesque scenes and the use of foreground, middleground, and background to create depth. I hope you can see similar themes in my landscape, which was created using my own photographs, taken in California, which were cut out and assembled using Photoshop:


Tonight we have our exhibit for our non-computer drawing course. Once I've scanned some of those images, I'll be sure to post them!

No comments: