Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Force/Form Installation

Just before my accident and surgery, my studio completed its first full scale project. Each of us was tasked with creating an installation at Blake Garden, in Kensington, Cal., that would highlight a feature of, experience in, or process taking place in the garden.

Attached are photographs of my installation titled, "Force/Form" (right: my study model). I selected a dry stream bed
running through the north part of the garden. The stream had a major force in shaping the topography of the garden; however, it has been culverted and redirected into stormwater pipes. To draw visitors' attention to the now-dry stream bed, and invite them to reflect on the interplay between force and form, I re-constructed the stream using strips of fabric and bamboo rods. The entire installation was about 160 feet long.

You can view pictures of other installations created by my classmates as well as some undergrad students here.

Enjoy!

Presentation board showing plan for installation at bottom

View of installation to east where it "flows" from underneath a bridge

View of installation to west from above footbridge where it begins the descent to a pond

Installation "flowing" under a footbridge

No comments: